In this post, we’ll discuss how to link your NIN with your MTN SIM so that you’ll not be blocked from using your mobile line in the next two weeks.
What is NIN?
The National Identification Number (NIN) is the unique number that identifies you as a Nigerian and is issued to you at the completion of enrolment into the National Identity Database (NIDB) by NIMC. Once a NIN is assigned to an individual, it can never be reassigned, given, or used by another person – that makes it unique in nature. All citizens and legal residents in Nigeria, from age zero (birth) and above are eligible to enroll for their NINs.
Is this NIN MTN Linking Important?
Yes, it’s very important. The NCC issued out a circular warning that whoever doesn’t link their National Identification Number with their SIM will be blocked from using their mobile lines.
How can I Link my NIN to my MTN SIM?
The following steps will guide you through on the process of linking your NIN to your MTN SIM.
To link your NIN with your MTN phone number, carry out the following steps:
- Visit https://mtnonline.com/nim/ using your phone or computer
- Complete the NIN linking form by entering your name, phone number, NIN and email address.
- Submit the form as soon as you’re done.
- Wait for feedback from the network in a couple of days.
To link your your NIN with your MTN SIM using USSD, follow the steps below:
- Dial *785# using the MTN you wish to perform the linking on.
- Type 1 for “Enter your 11-digit NIN” and send.
- Enter your 11-digit NIN and send.
Wait for the network to give a confirmation of your submission. You may get a message saying “Network error.”
Don’t panic if you do! Just wait for some time and try it again.
- How to Link Your NIN with Your Glo SIM
- How to Link Your NIN with Your Airtel SIM
- How to Link Your NIN with Your 9Mobile SIM
What if you forgot your NIN and don’t have the slip?
If you don’t know your NIN, just dial *346# on the SIM card you registered with the National Identity Management Centre (NIMC).
A message containing your NIN will be displayed, just copy it somewhere safe.
Note that checking your NIN via the USSD provided above costs N20 only.
I don’t have NIN, How can I Register?
- Visit any NIMC office near you and apply for your National Identity Card if you haven’t
- Register and obtain your temporary ID slip which will contain your NIN
- Keep your NIN details in a safe place so that you’ll be able to provide them when necessary.
Will my line be blocked if my NIN is not captured?
Yes. The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has instructed all telecommunications operators to block all lines not paired with NIN Number by December 30th 2020.
Can I update my spouse, brother or parent NIN?
No, you cannot. It is a personal identification number. Everybody is to enroll for their NIN individually.
My SIM was registered with my voter card, and not national card. Am I going to be affected?
This directive is to all Nigerian citizens who are telecoms subscribers. Your NIN must be paired with your SIM database details. You can register at any NIMC Enrollment Centre close to you. Kindly visit the website www.nimc.gov.ng for the list of all enrollment centers nationwide.