The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: IELTS Examiner Nigeria
Locations: Abuja, Lagos, Asaba, Warri – Delta, Ado Ekiti, – Ekiti Akure – Ondo, Port Harcourt – Rivers, Kano, Abeokuta – Ogun, Ibadan – Oyo, Calabar – Cross River, Benin – Edo, Osogbo – Osun and Nsukka – Enugu
Pay band: Paid per Candidate examined
About the Job
- We are looking for suitably qualified and experienced individuals to join our team of IELTS Speaking Examiners in various locations across Nigeria.
- You will conduct one to one interviews with IELTS candidates to assess their spoken English according to set requirements, and assess written scripts produced by candidates under exam conditions.
- We are keen to build excellence in language assessment in Nigeria through the recruitment of qualified and motivated professionals
- Examiners are recruited on a casual basis and are expected to examine at least ten sessions a year at regular intervals
- IELTS examinations regularly take place at our locations in Nigeria
- Training of successful candidates will be part of the recruitment process.
- An Undergraduate or Master’s Degree or qualification(s) that can be demonstrated to be equivalent to an Undergraduate or Master’s degree (3 years’ full-time academic study, or a minimum of one year’s full-time academic study in the case of a Master’s Degree).
- A TEFL / TESOL qualification from a recognised institution (at minimum Certificate level).
- EFL / ESOL-related studies completed as part of an undergraduate / post graduate award course from a recognised institution (minimum Certificate level equivalent).
- A Degree in Education (if supported by an undergraduate degree which includes studies focused on English language).
- All qualifications must be validated by a reputable institution and accredited by a professional certification board. If requested, applicants are required to provide additional information regarding their qualifications (e.g. transcript, course curriculum, evidence of external validation, accreditation by a certification standards board, etc.)
- Any expenses related to verifying qualifications are to be paid by the applicant. You will be required to produce the original certificates for all qualifications.
- A minimum of three years full-time TEFL teaching experience (or equivalent part time) is required. Almost all of this teaching experience must relate to adult students (16 years and over). Full-time teaching’ is classified as a minimum of 14 hours of face-to-face teaching per week. Freelance and volunteer teaching is not included.
- If an applicant’s EFL / ESOL qualification is at Certificate level (or equivalent), one of the three years of full-time teaching experience must be post EFL / ESOL Certificate qualification. If the EFL / ESOL qualification is at Diploma level or higher, the teaching experience can have been completed before the qualification.
Professional Attributes and Interpersonal Skills
- An IELTS Examiner is expected to have the following professional attributes and interpersonal skills:
- Completes tasks accurately and in sufficient detail
- Observes the need for confidentiality and security
- Responds positively to guidance and advice
- Acts professionally at all times
- Communicates effectively with colleagues and candidates and treats others with respect
- Is sensitive to cultural differences.
- Existing right to live and work in Nigeria.
Application Closing Date
3rd December, 2022; 23:59 South Africa time.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- You will be required to complete further information and attach qualifications (Degree & a TEFL / TESOL / EFL / ESOL Certificate) to your IELTS Examiner application. If you do not have required criteria, you will be disqualified.
- Application questions must be completed honestly; if questions are not completed with true valid information, you will be disqualified
- Please include your preferred location in your application.
- If you have any technical problems, please email: email@example.com