The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Public Health Specialist (Prevention) – All Interested Candidates (Key Population (KP) Program Specialist)
Announcement Number: Abuja-2022-107
Series/Grade: LE – 0550 11
Hiring Agency: Embassy Abuja
Promotion Potential: LE-12
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply / Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 04. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Source
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period.
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: 75% or less – Job holder is expected to travel for site visits and meetings with the representatives of each organization to review progress (this site visits may be routine, one week-long trips)
- Basic Function: The incumbent, under the supervision of the Prevention Branch Chief for the CDC Nigeria Office (Abuja), provides project support to the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR); contributing to the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of HIV services for Key Populations including Female Sex Workers, Men who have Sex with Men, People Who Inject Drugs, Transgender persons, and other priority populations as may be determined by PEPFAR.
- The job holder’s responsibilities include day-to-day program management including coordination and collaboration with other PEPFAR agencies to ensure that project implementation addresses program strategic objectives.
- The incumbent ensures collaboration among PEPFAR partners involved in the provision of HIV services to key populations and provides leadership in promoting use of internationally recognized best practices in key population HIV services provision.
- Job holder serves as the Activity Manager for key population components of one or more CDC-supported cooperative agreements and as a key contributor to the planning, development, and review of the key population components of PEPFAR annual Country Operational Plans for Nigeria.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Minimum of Master’s Degree in Public Health, Medicine, Nursing, Epidemiology or Behavioral Science is required.
- Note: NYSC Certificate or Exemption document is required.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ work experience in HIV Testing, Prevention, Care and Treatment Services for key and priority populations, including program planning, implementation, and evaluation is required.
- Knowledge and experience in KP programs that indicates the ability to consult and collaborate effectively with all levels both within and outside the agency is also required.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in KP program strategies; behavior change, HIV prevention, care and treatment services; HIV/AIDS public health programs; and methods, processes, and techniques used to plan, develop, implement and evaluate results of HIV programs are required.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the host government health care system and structures including familiarity with GoN policies, program priorities and regulations is required.
- Good working knowledge of USG HIV/AIDS public health programs, strategies, methods, processes and techniques used to plan, develop, implement and evaluate results of prevention programs is required.
- Good working knowledge of team management techniques to plan, organize and direct multi-disciplinary project teams and activities and overall administrative requirements, budgeting and fiscal management in support of contracts/cooperative agreements/grants/purchase requisitions is required.
- Good working knowledge of epidemiology, statistics and data analysis is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify in your application your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Fluent Speaking/Reading/Writing of English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong oral and written communications skills are required.
- Ability to analyze, understand and discuss new program design, management and implementation approaches is required.
- This includes the development of evaluation designs, use of reliable and valid instruments, and methods for data collection, analysis and reports.
- Ability to lead project teams and workgroups and to develop effective working relationships with national and international working partners is required.
- The incumbent will be expected to exercise considerable ingenuity and tact in applying guidelines to unique and different settings, as the work is highly complex and can be threatening to stakeholders.
- Considerable innovation will be required to influence other collaborative organizations engaged in HIV/AIDS prevention, care and treatment programs to adopt appropriate strategies for their program activities.
- Use of Microsoft Office Suites; agency specific databases and use of advanced spreadsheet functions is required.
- Numerical skills is required for statistics and data analysis.
- Keyboarding skills (both speed and accuracy) is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application.
- Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights *
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service.
- Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
Benefits and Other Info
Salary: N15,890,203 Annually.
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
Application Closing Date
22nd September, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Secret clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Degree (not transcript)
- NYSC Certificate or Exemption document
- Certificate of License
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.
You can also check the following
- How to Write a Follow Up Email after Submitting Your Resume
- How to Email a Resume and Cover Letter Attachment
- Top 10 Resume Mistakes to Avoid
- 10 Ways To Make Money Online While Unemployed
- 6 Tips That Will Help You to Get Experience for Your Dream Job
- Online Jobs that require little or no experience
- How To Apply For jobs online | 7 Amazing Tips You Need to Know